From Student Government:
ASWNMU PUBLIC MEETING MINUTES
Friday, November 2, 2017
- Call to Order
THE ASWNMU open meeting was held in the Miller Library on the campus of Western New Mexico University on November 2, 2017. Annely Heinze, ASWNMU Vice President, called the meeting to order at 8:31 a.m.
- Opening Ceremony
III. Roll Call
Executive Officers Present:
President – Timothy Stillman
Vice-President – Annely Heinze
Treasurer – Madison Jones
Governmental Affairs Director – Ross White
Senate Pro Temp- Dylan Kester
Senate Secretary- Jill Smith
Floor Leader Vicente Partido
Supreme Court Present:
Associate Justice Atencio
Associate Justice Thomas
- Approval of Agenda
Senator Kester mentioned to approve the agenda, Senator Smith seconded the motion. The agenda was approved with no abstentions.
- Approval of Minutes
Senator Kester motioned for approval of the minutes, Senator Smith seconded the motion. The minutes were approved with no abstentions.
- Executive Officer Reports
President – Staff Senate and Faculty Senate have been meeting with him to deal with issues on campus and collaborate on things. Mustang laundry and housing wifi is being looked at being upgraded. President Stillman will be in his office this afternoon and most of next week if you need to see him, stop on by his office.
Vice President – We had a Southwest high schools visit the campus last week. Student got to meet with student government and learn more about what we do on campus. Treasurer Jones, Governmental Affairs Director White, and Senator Moreno helped Vice-President Henize out with the high school student event. There will be an open house. We helped Student Life and the carnival we gave out snow cones. Both events did well. We met with the President of alumni board. The alumni want to be more involved with the students by doing events and starting a mentor program.
Governmental Affairs Director- White had worked with Vice-President Henize on the high school student presentation. He is also working on the lobby trip and a forum that is coming up in a few weeks.
Treasurer – Jones asked that clubs establish their budgets so that they can get their funding for this semester. She then discusses the financial reports.
- Senate bills 035-040 funding is from the Student government fund. Senate Bill 035 for ASWNMU travel funds in the amount of $300.00. Senate bill 036 for the scholarship of WNMU poet laureate in the amount of $100.00. Senate bill 037 for district 8 event in the amount of $250.00. Senate bill 038 for district 6 supplies in the amount of $50.00. Senate bill 039 for exchange student survival kits in the amount of $120.00. Senate bill 040 for district 9 raffle baskets in the amount of $300.00.
- Senate bill 034 funding is from the Vending fund. Senate bill 034 for matching funds for SAAC in the amount of $116.00.
- Our ending balance is $6,485.04 for Student Government fund and for matching funds will end at $792.89.
VII. District Reports
Senator Smith- The Halloween Party for District 2 was a success. We competed in a costume contest that awarded a 25$ gas card, a free meal for two, and random gift bags.
Senator Partido- Fall carnival with humanities, business and interdisciplinary studies was a success with having students declare majors in those departments. The music dept haunted house was scary and was a success as well, but he didn’t know how much funding was raised.
VIII. Committee Reports
- Cafe and housing- October 31st some upcoming event- they were having themed food. Heard some feedback will bring to the next meeting. Thanksgiving dinner with a long styled tables for dinner to create community and family. One concern from students that sometimes its hard to eat healthy in cafe. Vegetables are expensive, finding a place on campus to create a garden with the health committee. This idea might have been suggested before but it did not work. Talk about making compost for the waste, instead of wasting food. Contest or events to be held by the cafe for students with meal plans. If anyone has any ideas the next meeting november 14 at 10am in the cafe. Come see Vice-President Henize in her office to talk about these ideas so that she can bring them to the meeting.
- UPC Committee- Finalizing the plan for the technology for this year. They are beginning to work on the plans for next year. If there is anything that you would like to see technological on campus see Senator Kester.
- Student Appeals Senator Kester has been participating in student appeals. These meetings are going well.
- Mustang Entertainment- Senator Moreno stated that the Halloween dance went well and there were a lot of students who participated. Mustang Entertainment will be holding their meetings every Tuesday and Thursday at 4 P.M. in the Life Lounge in the P.E Complex.
- Student Research and Professional Development- Senator Moreno announced that “upperclassman there are research funds available. Make sure to contact SRPD to help fund your research.”
- Old Business
There is no old business.
- New Business
- Senate Bill Number 034- Allocation of matching funds not to exceed $116.00 for SAAC, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 034 is sponsored by Senator Kester and co-sponsored by Senator Partido. Senate Bill 034 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 035– Allocation of funds not to exceed $300.00 for ASWNMU Travel Funds, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 035 is sponsored by Senator Smith and co-sponsored by Senator Arganda. Senate Bill 035 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 036– Allocation of funds for scholarship of WNMU Poet Laureate for Fall 2017 not to exceed $100.00, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 036 is sponsored by Senator Chavez and co-sponsored by Senator Moreno. Senate bill 036 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 037– Allocation of funds not to exceed $250.00 for District 8 event, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 037 is sponsored by Senator Partido and co-sponsored by Senator Looney. Senate bill 037 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 038– Allocation of funds not to exceed $50.00 for District 6 supplies for Nursing Students, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 038 is sponsored by Senator Chavez and co-sponsored by Senator Smith . Senate bill 038 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 039– Allocation of funds not to exceed 120.00 for Exchange Students Survival Kits and shirts, within the purview of the Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 039 is sponsored by Senator Moreno and co-sponsored by Senator Kester. Senate bill 039 is approved with no abstentions.
- Senate Bill Number 040– Allocation of funds not to exceed $300.00 for District 9 Raffle Baskets, within the purview of Associated Students of Western New Mexico University. Senate Bill 040 is sponsored by Senator Looney and co-sponsored by Senator McGhiey. Senate bill 040 is approved with no abstentions.
Childhood Development Center Elaine Howard announced thanks for those who came out to help with the snowcones. We are starting giving tree which is a christmas trees with need for christmas. Looking for departments who are looking to donate. The state is willing to pay for a garden. We could create a community garden for the campus and then we do not have the staff to cover their garden, but an overall one could be beneficial.
Senator Smith would like to remind everyone that The Center will be hosting a Take Back the Night Event which will begin at 5:30 P.M. November 6th, they will be marching from Mustang Village and Centennial Halls to the Fine Arts Center Theater. After the march, there will be free hot chocolate, apple cider, coffee, and sweets for all. There will be a rally after with WNMU community members. She urges everyone to come and participate in ending Campus Sexual Assault by taking back the night.
President Stillman announced that there will be no meeting after Public Meeting.
Senator Kester motioned to adjourn the meeting, Senator Smith seconded the motion, the meeting was adjourned at 8:54 am.